September 30, 2011

Tailing Redfish - Unforgettable Solo Trip - Cape Romain SC

Stalking tailing redfish on a flooded grass flat is one of the most exciting types of fishing in our area and it happens to be one of my favorite. On a recent solo scouting trip around Cape Romain,  I pulled up on a flat that always looked like it had potential. Moments after pulling back the throttle and sliding the boat into the grass, I saw the first tail at the back of the flat.  As I reached for the fly rod, another tail caught my eye from the opposite direction and before I had a chance to tie on a fly, I found myself surrounded by tailing redfish. Instincts were telling me to grab the flyrod and bust as many as I could, but I must have been running a fever that day and grabbed the camera instead. Counting out loud as I walked towards the commotion in the distance, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7---8, I counted 8 tails in the air at one time! Pretty amazing to watch so many happy redfish feeding in the grass all once and I was lucky enough to have gotten a few decent shots.

Redfish generally "tail" on the flooded grass flats from April - Oct when fiddler crabs are abundant and water temps remain relatively warm. Please contact me if you would like to find out more information. 

-Capt. Jordan